Pierde Almas is first and foremost a Socially, Culturally and Environmentally Responsible Company.
The paper used to create our labels is eco-friendly and handmade from 100% natural fibers that have been used by the inhabitants of this part of the world since prehistoric times.
Behind each bottle of PIERDE ALMAS is a time-honored recipe kept alive with painstaking care by the family patriarch in each successive generation.
For Pierde Almas, Tradition is Contemporary. It is part of our LIFE… Jonathan Barbieri, founder.
We are Socially and Culturally Responsible
Pierde Almas’ commitment to the families that produce our Mezcal and their communities is as deep as it is long term. We have partnered on three levels that are crucial to the village life:
- Deporte (sports): in every village across Oaxaca basketball has become an integral part of the culture. For the Fiesta of the Santo Patron of San Luis del Rio, Pierde Almas installed brand new fixtures as well as a new paint job.
- Salud (health) Pierde Almas has been updating equipment and re-supplying crucial medicine. By early 2016 San Luis del Rio will have one of the best supplied public medicine in the State of Oaxaca.
- Educación y lectura (education and reading): Pierde Almas has asked the village authorities to designate a space that we will convert to the first lending library ever in this remote pocket of the Sierra Madre Sur of Oaxaca.
We are Environmentally Responsible
With our Wild Agave Reforestation Program, we are actively engaged in the re-forestation of wild species of Agave in those areas where their populations have been depleted. Pierde Almas begins each rainy season by inviting bartenders, chefs, restaurateurs and journalists to join us for our annual wild Tobalá planting. Now entering its fifth year, the Project has attracted volunteers from Mexico, Europe, the US and Canada.
Join our agave reforestation program firstname.lastname@example.org
Pierde Almas- Innovations
- Pierde Almas is the first Brand to designate Agave species on its label. This has now become a common practice within the category and will soon be required by CRM, the industry’s regulatory council.
- Pierde Almas is the first Brand in México to bring Mezcal out of the villages at its original proof. In 2008, when we came out with a 52% abv Do-ba-daán, the average abv across the industry was only 40%. Today, it is 48% and climbing. (Do-ba-daán is Jonathan Barbieri’s original phonetic spelling of the Zapotec name for A. Rhodacantha.)
- Pierde Almas is the first Brand to use handmade paper for its labels. Our paper is made from 100% indigenous fibers from Oaxaca. Our paper has a low environmental impact, while its manufacture creates a source of income for members of the community of San Agustín Etla.
- Pierde Almas has exclusive rights to the manufacture and commercial development of Jonathan Barbieri’s invention, Mezcal de Conejo, a triple-distilled Mezcal flavored with local heirloom fruits and the saddle of a wild, Cottontail rabbit.
- Pierde Almas has exclusive rights to the manufacture and commercial development of Jonathan Barbieri and Maestro Mezcalero Gregorio Hernandes´ invention, Mezcal de Venado, a triple-distilled Mezcal flavored with local heirloom fruits and the leg of a wild Deer.
- Pierde Almas has exclusive rights to the manufacture and commercial development of Jonathan Barbieri’s invention, MezcalGin, or Ginebra de Agave, sold in the U.S. and UK as Pierde Almas +9 Botanicals. This is the first Gin in the world to be distilled on a base of Mezcal.
Handmade Paper Labels
In the early nineties, Barbieri worked closely with Master Paper-maker, Alberto Valenzuela in San Agustín Etla to develop a paper that would serve as a support for his mixed-media and graphite drawings. The goal was to create a tough, thin paper in the Japanese style, using the principal indigenous fibers of Oaxaca. By combining coyuche, pochote and chichicastle fibers with a matrix of longer Agave fibers, they created a surface that would become an integral part of Barbieri’s artwork. In time, it was only natural for him to extend the use of this unique, hand-made paper to the Pierde Almas label.